Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Catch the reading bug




I know I am a little prejuide about Columbia, but it really has a cool library. I mean where else do you get to have storytime in a "green egg" haha. Seriously though, it has great programs for the kids all year and in the summer they have a themed program that they read x amount of hours and do x amount of activities that go along with that year's theme. This year obviously: Catch a reading bug!. Jordan has already read the 20 hours and is now helping me help Haley get her hours too so they can get their surprise:). It seems lately that they must have been given more money (from donations or something because this library never charges you a late fee--well unless you break or really lose it. How cool is that? It has definitely saved our cash flow):) or something because each time I go there are new toys/puzzles to interact with. This one Megan is playing with is genious--I mean who likes to pick up all the magnets off the floor when they are in destructo stage? I mentioned storytime but didn't mention the people. After watching them do storytime, I've thought they must really love their job because they are amazing. My favorite story they've done is one about a washing machine eating the clothes. Someone sits inside a big cardboard box without the kids knowing before hand, and when they put the bubbles in (pretending) and push the button, someone inside blows out real bubbles. You always hear little gasps and oohs from the children and it is so cute!

1 comment:

Speaks Family said...

I love Columbia's library too. When I first saw the library here in Eagle River I almost cried. It's just a rented place in a little strip mall. But the inside wasn't so bad and they did have a lot of books. I miss Columbia though!
Megan