
This week I read Number the Stars. You may have read it before. I just want to make note about how much I enjoyed it because it reminded me that good will triumph. I think that may be hard to remember when you look at the news. This book is a novel but there is some truth in it and that is what I wanted to share. Two things specifically: 1)I have read several books on WWII and learned/gained different perspectives and ideas about what happened during that time. This one was the first time I had read much about Denmark and the affects of the war on their country(again from a novel point of view). Two things- It's just amazes me how these people risked their lives for people that they didn't even know. I wonder how many people would do that today? I mean really...of course, if it was someone you loved, but what if it were people you didn't know at all?
When they started looking for the Jews and word was given that they were coming(that is another interesting fact but you'll have to read the book to find out how) 7,000 Jews crossed the waters into the safety of Sweden in 2 weeks. 7,000!!!
2) This was a fact from the end of the book:
After the Nazis began to use police dogs to sniff out hidden passengers on the fishing boats, Swedish scientists worked swiftly to prevent such a detection. They created a powerful powder composed of dried rabbit's blood and cocaine; the blood attracted the dogs, and when they sniffed at it, the cocaine numbed their noses and destroyed, temporarily, their sense of smell. Almost every boat captain used such a permeated handkerchief, and many lives were saved by the device.
It is just so ?(can't think of the appropriate word here) to me that as bad as it was, there were SO many people doing good---standing for what they knew was right. Working as it says "swiftly to prevent such a detection" to help save more lives.
So if you are a little discouraged or worried about world events, don't forget that there are many people still doing good (you just don't hear about them until later:)--although we can change that:)) and that of course, God is over all and that the Good will Triumph.

2 comments:
Love that book too. Such a great, quick read.
I love that book, too! I think I'll go read it again. It is nice to be reminded that good WILL triumph. Satan only thinks he will win!
WrayLynn
Post a Comment