Monday, February 4, 2008

President Hinckley

I have not been able to post anything this week as I have struggled to find the right words to express my feelings about President Hinckley. I've decided I probably won't find the right words but I'll give it my best shot.

I was blessed to have the opportunity to meet Pres. Hinckley when I was about 17 years old. He came to St. Louis and I was part of a group who was able to sing for entertainment for him at a lunch. I remember thinking "We are singing this for the Prophet of the Lord?" I guess I was thinking we would be singing hymns. I kept wondering why we were singing songs like "Danny boy," "Dry Bones," and "Pick-a-little, talk-a-little, Good Night Ladies". After we sang he thanked us and talked about how each of the songs we sang brought back memories of his life. "Danny Boy" reminded him of his mission. He had traveled to England by boat and after 6 1/2 days there was a young Irishman singing that song when they docked. He also said that when they (he and his wife) were younger they used to dance to the "Pick-a-little" song. It was fun to hear these stories and get to know him a little more personally. I will forever be grateful for being able to meet him. He came to speak at a Regional Conference and my journal records that he encouraged us to be more kind, gentler, and more willing to open our arms toward other people. He asked us to commit within ourselves to do that and he also encouraged us to read the last few chapters in John. I have NEVER regretted following the words of our Prophet as I know that he is a representative of the Lord and is His spokesman. If you look at his life, it is just as the scriptures say: "by their fruits you will know them" (Matt. 7:20). There is no doubt in my mind, that President Gordon B. Hinckley was called of God to serve as Prophet of His church. I am also grateful to know that although he has passed away this week the Lord has not left us alone. I know that God is not some foreign "thing" but a loving father in Heaven who loves us all so much that He blesses our lives with a Prophet who can lead us and guide us today just as he called Moses to lead and guide the children of Israel. (and the many other Prophets He has called through the different ages: Abraham, Jacob, Issac, Peter, etc) I know that it is through the Prophet whom He calls, that He gives us direction and council how to live our lives so we can be happy now and return to live with our families in heaven. What a blessing it is to live in this day, to be led by a Prophet of God.

The following is a wonderful tribute (there have been many shared this week) you can watch and you can also go to lds.org to find out anymore or other information you would like to know.

No comments: