Thursday, July 3, 2008
A small world with extraordinary people
Today I got to spend some time with the Jost couple as she helped me make this awesome tent for my kids to play in. I can't believe what a small world we live in. As we visited while we worked, we discovered that both of us participated in the City of Joseph pageant. It is no longer the same as it used to be when we were in it. We knew the same people and talked about the different scenes and music. It was so fun. They even showed me a picture from the 2nd year it was put on. It was an outdoor musical in Nauvoo, Illinois. It brought back many memories talking to them. But the real reason I am blogging this is to honor them if only in a small way. This couple is amazing and I want to record a little something about them and some of the feelings/thoughts I had as I visited with them today for a reminder and example for me now and in the future. I wish I had the statistics they read last fall during our stake conference with all the numbers of the projects and finished products she has done but a summary will have to suffice. Sis. Jost is in charge of the humanitarian aid projects in our stake. She helps make blankets and the collecting of items for our "warm up Columbia". She also helps in making baby hats for our local hospital, hats for cancer patients, catheter bags, books that are sent to orphanages for children to have something to look at, blankets and more blankets, vests for autistic patients, and so much more. She said her last load had 24 boxes alone being sent to the Humanitarian headquarters in Salt Lake City to be distributed to so many different countries. She said she got to tour there and said it was just so amazing. She described it to me and said there were names of countries that she didn't even recognize. It is truly so incredible. This tent is a replica to over 20 that she made and took to two different hospitals in the community for children with special needs. She had helped our cub scout leader make a couple for one of our pack meetings that had an Indian theme. Anyway I have always thought my kids would love this so I wanted to make one for them. I was thinking I would make it and save it for a Christmas present (yes I have issues I know it is only July) but I don't know if I can wait to give it to them. Despite the many projects she has going already, she took time out to help me learn how to make these. Now, I'm not the only one. Once a week she opens her house all day for people to come and help her with these projects. Today was not one of those days, but while I was there people stopped in to donate magazines and tie quilts. They welcome people into their home any day and anytime. I was so humbled. There are no tangible rewards for any of this. Not only does she give her time, she gives her house. It is clean and well organized, and yet every room has remnants of different projects. Currently she is working on putting together quilts for women to tie at a women's conference that will be held in Sept. Here is a lady who could be saying, "I've done a lot, I'm done. I want my house to look this way or that way" And yet, she keeps serving day after day to countless numbers of people, most of them she won't even meet. And to mention her husband, he is right there to help her. He could be saying "I want my wife to do this with me or that" but he just sits down by her and gets things she might need or helps in other ways. Here is a couple to truly admire and live our lives after.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Yes I agree with everything. I went there three different times, and they always went out of their way to help me. If they don't have their mansion prepared for them already, I don't know who does.
I can totally relate to your experience. The woman I do scouts with has 9 (yes nine) children of her own - 7 of which live at home. Not only does she do scouts with me, she also fills in for primary quite regular & she is one of two ladies over the humanitarian in our ward. She constantly has projects ready to go for people to take home & finish. We have the opportunity to get together the 1st & 3rd Friday of each month to do humanitarian work, which I have loved doing & will be sad to miss it when I go back to work. But, like you said, it is amazing how much she is willing to just keep on serving! I think if I had 9 children of my own scouts would be enough! I'm just glad there are people out there that will take the time to take on all the callings & make it so people like myself can help out! It truly amazes me each day!! I know why God partnered me with her for Scouts!! I have a lot to learn from this woman!
They really are the cream of the crop. And on top of all the stuff that they do, they know just about everything as well. If you have a question about something, ask one of them and I would bet that they would be able to not only answer the question but be able to tell you a story that relates to the question as well.
They are amazing. I miss seeing Brother Jost every Sunday.
Post a Comment