I love hearing about sales, products, recipes, books, dentists, etc that people have "tried" and feel confident in recommending. I'd like to share with you 5 things that I have recently experienced that I would NOT recommend:)
NOT RECOMMEND:
1. When you are oh, 7 or 8 months pregnant wearing ugly clothes (because you can't fit into anything else) going to the gym and participating in the body step class when the instructor says "oh I'm just video taping myself because I'm getting certified". You might want to notice that the front wall is lined with MIRRORS and YOU WILL be in the video tape after all even though you think you are far away from the video camera and your friend will somehow manage to get a copy and blackmail you with it!
2. I would highly NOT recommend being pregnant, having a baby (and 3 other children), and putting your house on the market while you husband is working in another city. Enough said.
3. I would not stay up a little bit later (this is funny because what I now call late, used to be called "early"---this can be explained by #2) because you have not read a book in a long time and you feel the need to "treat" yourself and you've already had to renew the book and you're moving and are not sure the new library will have the book and you already started it like 5 weeks ago. I know you are considering the treat because you have finally cleaned the house for the 700th time and the finances are caught up and the laundry is drying and you finally feel like you can relax in between feedings, but you know that what will happen---- your 2 year old will wake up only 1/2 hour later crying and then again a couple hours after that and then get up around 5:30ish to stay up and continue the crying. In between that time your newborn will wake up wanting to eat. Just put the book down....and go to bed.
4. I would not attempt to take 4 beautiful children to an end of the year picnic by yourself. Of course you would want to go because you don't have to cook dinner, or clean up for that matter. This is a big bonus when you are trying to sell your house and you are trying to keep it spotless (I have definitely learned the difference between a clean house and a show house). You also want to go because your son has been in this program for 4 years now and you're moving and this is your last time to go and you want your son to feel like you care about what is going on in his life because things have been a little different when you have a brand new baby and you have all these changes and you are trying to stay on top of all the kids needs/feelings and so you think we should go. Certainly the older kids will help and the little ones can be in a stroller and car seat. What you don't know--
that of course, it will be colder than expected, that you get your food at one shelter but then have to walk to the shelter on the other side of the playground because they painted those tables that morning--so of course someone is kind enough to help you because obviously I am going to need help carrying 3 plates, a stroller, and a car seat, ( I can imagine what thoughts were going through people's heads but I am choosing to ignore them) which is really nice but then once you get there you don't count on walking under a bird's nest and getting POOPED on by the flying bird overhead:( Your kids eat great (minus toddler age 2 --see #5) and you start to think---we're good, we're doing alright---and you get everyone to the playground for some run-get-tired time and then one of them has to go to the bathroom. Four vs. one What were you thinking?? Of course the bathrooms are back up where you were eating and toddler #2 just got freedom from the stroller and doesn't want to get back in just to take her sister to the bathroom....Next time--follow the instinct to hire someone to come along with you.
5. Following doctor's orders:) So Megan was a little chubby bub about 4 or 5 months old but has since then fallen off the chart for her age and weight. Her doctor told me several months ago I could try that pediasure to help her sleep longer (she was waking up at like 5 a.m. so tired but hungry because she wasn't eating very much) and to boost her up. She also said that at that time she wouldn't recommend a strict diet of only eating at 3 meal times but that if she was hungry to go ahead and give her something to eat. Now I'm sure I didn't do it exactly right but seriously--I have created a monster. It is amazing to me how she can stay alive with hardly eating. Instead of eating more or better, she tells me she is "hungy" about every hour and then sits at the table to only take a mini bite of all the yummy stuff I've put in front of her that she told me she would eat....right. It is mind boggling to me how one day she will eat something like it is going out of style and I think "finally I know something I can give her so she will eat". For example she would eat string cheese at 6 a.m. However then the next time you offer it to her, she acts like you are trying to get her to eat mashed up garbage or something. Then this week---it is 4:20 A.M. and you might think "she is up with her newborn" Nope...Megan has woke me up yelling "Mommy, I need my chocy" (aka chocolate milk---no I am not joking) And yes, I am crazy and give it to her---why? I am only feeding into making the monster. I know this. I also know it is 4:20. She sleeps for 3 more hours...Sometimes I want to get all the "experts" I've tried reading and applying their "techniques" on my children and have them at my house at 4:20 a.m.
Thursday, May 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
I feel your pain!
I don't know how Jade has survived to this point. My children eat more in one snack than that child eats in a month!
I never, ever want to move again! Moving with 1 kid is bad enough, moving with 2 - managable with help. Moving 3 & a newborn? What were you thinking?? HIRE GRANDMA!
End of year picnic? I probably would have gotten suckered into that one too. Especially considering all the facts you put in. I understand the whole stroller, etc. problem. Bird poop? My mom can sympathsize there - think freezing cold water plus birthday. I think I would have had to have someone go with me on this outing as well.
Perhaps you should move closer to grandma?? Or, find a bunch of young women that you really, really trust & like & bribe them to go with you!
Sorry! Hope your week goes better!!!!
PS - How do I avoid the ugly clothes problem? I'm nearly too fat for XL maternity clothes!
Wow! You've had quite a week! If you ever feel the need to hire me I'd be there in a flash! :) You're an amazing mom! Great job keeping up with all the extra long hard overworked effort time energy patience love understanding empathy care nurturing commitment you give to those 4 cuties! Way 2 Go....
You mean it doesn't get any easier after the first one???
Ok, I need to write this down. Don't have a baby and put your house up for sale when your husband is working in a different city. Got it. I will try to remember not to do that.
As for the blackmail, I have no idea what you are talking about. No blackmail has occurred. If you would like some, then I'm sure I could think of something fun. I'm pretty creative in those areas. :)
As far as the BBQ, the bird poop would have put me over the edge. You need a year long rest for all the work you have done.
I would also suggest next time you need to go to a function for kid #1, to drop kid #2 and #3 off at the blackmailers house.
I must say I felt anxiety as I read each of the things NOT to do. In fact I am not sure if my kids will be going in public all summer!
I must also agree with Lisa on the drop off of #2 and #3. We know you are tough, but sometimes the easy way out is so much more fun!
I must agree with Lisa and Tamra...But you know a great visiting teacher who would love to help out as well...I am sure she would have gone with all five of you to the event.
After listening to this, I am not sweating the whole marriage and kids not happening yet, that is for sure! Thanks for the tips!
Oh you poor thing -that made me tired just reading it - It did make me feel better that I am not the only one with my 2 and 4 year old still getting up in the middle of the night. As parents I think we just have to do what we have to do and not read those books, just makes us feel "guilty"!
Okay, I need some type of medication just after READING all that! I have to agree with the above gals... drop of kids #1,#2,#3 and #4 at my house whenever you need to!!!!! We'd love to have them ANYTIME!
Don't drop them off at my house.. I have enough..;)j/k I had almost the exact experience at my kids end of the year "carnival" I am seriously still recovering! You are a super women though!
Post a Comment