Monday, January 21, 2008

Dumpster Divin' MacGyver

One day at a playgroup Haley tells everyone (very proudly) that her daddy was a dumpster diver. All the moms look at me...what do I say? We were living at Grantwood and he was, indeed, inside the dumpster finding stuff all of the college kids were throwing away (even brand new with tags on). Even though I know I should appreciate this great thrifty side of him, I am not always grateful as I look into my never-ending-pit-of-a-what-is-supposed-to-be-a-garage.... In fact, just last week as we were traveling home he is looking over his shoulder at the dumpster and I say "just keep on driving". :) However, today I was very grateful he took the trash out because he brought back a blind that he was able to "MacGyver" into fixing our old one. This may not sound that great but when you have to spend $130 on a blind?????? You can see how this truly was a blessing. I mean, come on, who wants to spend $130 on a window blind? So today my heart is bursting with pride for my dumpster divin' MacGyver!!!

3 comments:

Dave said...

In my defense, the dumpster at Grantwood was not a regular dirty "trash" dumpster. It was one of those huge open top types used for construction sites. The college kids would through away brand new furniture, (I'm sure mom and dad had paid for it). And about the blind, I just replaced a few slats on our blind that where broken, anyone can do it.

Jessica said...

I am all for saving a buck - good for you Dave :) BTW Angela, I tagged you on my blog - so go to my blog to see the instructions -

The Helwigs said...

AH...my brother...he is a MacGyver at heart and he has been for a long time. Gotta love it...just think Ang you could be in my shoes and have to call Dave or Dad evertime you need something done. You know my husband is hopeless...well maybe not hopeless but he is definitely NO MacGyver!

Rachel