
Last week my family was blessed to meet our newest member, Ashley Nicole Maughan. Although our time with her was short,(Dec.5th-Dec.9th) we are so grateful to know of our Heavenly Father's plan of happiness and for the blessings promised in the scriptures of eternal families. I am grateful to know that we will see Ashely again and that she will always be a part of us Maughansters.:) Sometimes it is hard to explain how much comfort and peace I feel knowing what I know is real. It's not just something to make me feel better for a time or only when I conveniently need to believe in something. There is no doubt in my mind that God is real and that He isn't some big untouchable thing floating around the universe. He is our Father, who knows us by name, who loves us, and who encircles His arms around us. I have felt that many times throughout my life in many different ways. I have my flaws and struggles and yet, His hand is stretched out still as He invites me to cast my burdens at His feet. However, this doesn't mean I don't hurt or feel sorrow either. The last while has been heart wrenching for me; learning that sometimes our trials come indirectly like watching others experience this life and feeling so completely helpless, wishing we could wave a wand and make it all better, but knowing that we cannot. It has been during this time that I feel like Elder Wirthlin when he said, "“For me, the Lord has opened the windows of heaven and showered blessings upon my family beyond my ability to express. Yet like everyone else, I have had times in my life when it seemed that the heaviness of my heart might be greater than I could bear.” (Come What May and Love It, Oct. 2008)As I have been blessed to be near Jeff and Cari I have been amazed that while I prayed to know how to comfort them, it is I who have been strengthened and comforted by their peace and their testimony of the truths I've mentioned. The really "good news" is that this peace and comfort is promised to everyone as expessed in the hymn played at Ashley's memorial service:
Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side
With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change he faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul; Thy best, thy heavenly Friend
Thru throny ways leads to a joyful end.
Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last
Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.
Be still, my soul: The hour is hastning on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointement, grief and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

1 comment:
What a perfect hymn. Your family remains in our thoughts and prayers. I agree with everything you said. Things would be so dismal without the gospel and the Prince of Peace.
Post a Comment