Friday, November 20, 2009

Change of Mind on Christmas

I admit that I hate seeing the Christmas items in the stores before Halloween but this year I have had a change of heart. I still don't like the stores (besides the fact I laugh at how people say people overeat around the holidays---now with them getting all the candy sooner out, you can eat them for months so of course if you have a habit of eating those yummy things you may greatly increase the risk of overeating but anyway) BUT this year as I was thinking about it I thought "but don't we always say we should have "Christmas in our hearts all year round" and why do we only celebrate it at that time. So I started looking at it a little differently. You don't have to skip Thanksgiving just because you are singing Christmas songs days before you eat the turkey and potatoes. Plus for me there seems to be a time warp between Halloween and Christmas so this year I admit- I was totally reading Christmas books before Halloween. There are many out there I wanted to get to, but it always gets crazy so I never do. The amazing thing about it is (and the reason I had to record it) that Dave and I tried again to read together. So one night I read quite a bit out loud. A couple days later I was really tired and didn't read much. When I woke the next morning Dave had stayed awake late into the night finishing the book we were supposed to read together!!! This was a first and so funny because in the past when we've tried it, I couldn't wait for him. So I would recommend this book if you haven't already read it. I have several more on my list and I'm hoping that I can at least read another one before the warp passes me by. If you have any good favorites or suggestions please let me know. And when I turn on the radio my kids are loving Jingle Bells--so hey-why not? Don't we say we want to celebrate Christmas all year?:)

3 comments:

Michelle said...

it is a great book! i read it last christmas time...good for all year :}

Holly said...

I put it on hold at the Library. I can't wait to have Matt read it with me.

kelie said...

Matt just read this and loved it...he's trying to get me to read it...but you know I have a thing against books that will leave me better than when I started them! ;)