Monday, October 19, 2009

What can I be learning?


So with all of life's experiences there is something we can learn. Our van has now been in the shop for over 3 weeks. For months it has been doing this weird thing---in the middle of the highway it will jerk and down shift. Obviously, not very safe. I had taken it in and they couldn't find the problem. Then we noticed a trend. It happened most often when it was raining or very wet. So seeing that our warranty on the transmission was of course expiring and the wet winter weather approaching I waited for a rainy day. Three Thurs. ago. I packed up the girls and we started for the shop. It took longer than usual of course because I didn't want to ruin the engine. Thankfully they finally could see something wasn't right. They told me it would be awhile so I probably wanted to go somewhere.:) Dave just happened to be in a meeting at the time. So I walked 2 miles in the rain (yes this is true I measured it on the way back) with an umbrella, no sidewalks in some places with two little girls. I am so glad I now have a story I can tell my kids like the one "I walked to school and it was uphill both ways.:)"haha Two things I am grateful for: 1) even though it was wet, it wasn't too cold yet. Otherwise we probably wouldn't have made it. 2) Addie fell asleep--this proves that miracles have not ceased (and no I am not trying to be irreverant).
Three weeks later and the verdict has been the fuse box. Simple fix, right? Obviously not. Chrysler no longer makes this part anymore. So they called around different salvage yards. They have had 4 different parts and none of them work. One leaves the wipers on, another the ABS lights etc etc. Last week it got better as we called and they told us that a tech had taken it out to drive it, turned it off and it would NOT start....they had to TOW our van back to the shop:) Now as of Friday they have found another one----this one from INDIANNA--they've depleted all the closer yards. So we're praying this one works.

I am not complaining as I have realized lately that we think we're having a trial or test until the real thing comes and then we realize what we thought was a trial, well, just wasn't. Even though it has been inconvenient I recognize that it could be WAY worse. I know things happen for a reason and we can learn something from them. Here are a few of my thoughts on our lovely situation:)

I'm grateful that besides Dave's dad's heart attack this week I haven't had any stressful demands to be anywhere (although we missed a chance to celebrate b-days with family:(). (And we're really grateful he is recovering well). I'm grateful that when our truck starting making a bad noise again (the 2nd week) that Dave could fix it again so at least we have ONE vehicle:) and that he had it fixed right before we got the phone call about his dad so he could go be with his family. I'm forever grateful for neighbors who have been so giving of their truck (while it has crushed my ego dramatically) so I could get my kids to school and back. I'm grateful to be reminded that Heavenly Father knows of our situations and reminds us that it truly is because of Him that we get anywhere or are able to accomplish anything, even the simplest things as taking kids safely to school. I'm grateful for the experience to practice my patience as I know it is a virtue and not one that I can say I have mastered yet:) And today as I was thinking of what I could learn from this I thought--maybe it's endurance....so until next time I post and can say "all is fixed", we will just be learning.:)

1 comment:

Cari said...

I think you hit the nail on the head, ENDURANCE. Sometimes it is not about patience or lessons learned, it is just about being able to make it through and counting you blessings in the process. Thanks Ang! I needed to read this today.