Monday, May 9, 2011

Stephanie Nielsen a.k.a Nei Nei

Many of you might already follow her blog, heard her story (she was on Oprah), or maybe not, but most likely you have. She, with her husband and a friend were in an airplane accident where 80% of her body was burned, coma,...etc. A few weeks ago, thanks to a friend giving me the heads up, I was able to go listen to her speak in person. It was a great experience as you can imagine. She told of her trials and bore a very powerful amazing testimony. I loved her. I loved her because she was so real---she told you like it was (her youngest at the time of the accident (18 mo) didn't think she was "mommy" when she came home--not only because she didn't look like herself but because her sister looked similar to her before the accident and Lucy had become "mommy" to him. She told how he would bang on the door yelling "no mommy no mommy" and at that point when your eyes were spilling over and your heart breaking (because I hadn't ever thought about those things she has had to deal with) she would say something to make you laugh like: "Dang it, I am your mommy, I pushed you out and you were like 9 lbs baby!" (I can't remember the exact #) but it just made you smile. She talked about the experience of seeing her kids for the first time and how her daughter wouldn't look at her for 4 months after. She would share those moments and then she would share the miracles too (how that got better). She was witty and I loved that she would have the courage to share her story and her trials. I kept notes but she really says it better than I could. You should check out her blog. She is also going to be on 20/20 (they were there filming) They had us watch this video clip before she started and she then got up and said: "This makes me sound all perfect and stuff but I'm not. In fact, yesterday I was shopping at the mall and this little boy was staring at me and I kind of (and at this point she made a face and put her hands up:)) She was like "I shouldn't do that." haha....I don't know how to explain it...amazing even though she said she wasn't---she is. Now if you've never watched the clip, you're in for a treat BUT just a warning: You'll need a tissue box!:)


No comments: