Saturday, January 8, 2011

a quick update

Earlier this week I wrote out my to-do list and updating the blog was on the list. We have had many wonderful things and pictures to share but not enough time to "catch up" and put it all on the computer yet. So Monday I got the desk cleaned off to get to the computer:) and Tuesday Dave was back at work and the kids at school and I was feeling like even though it will take longer to get things done with a new baby, we'd be getting caught up with everything on my list by the end of the week. But as with most things "life" happened and I haven't gotten to it. Last weekend Addie had a fever and I thought "oh I'm sure if I take her in I will be jumping the gun and they'll just say "it's just viral, just wait it out" (tis the season right?) and sure enough Monday her fever broke so I was thinking I had done the right thing.....then Tuesday Ryan started breathing funny and quit eating as well. Wednesday he threw up yellow after he ate. So after showers (and I'm thankful for that--you'll understand in a minute) we packed up and headed for the dr.'s office. An hour later we were in the ER waiting for an ambulance to transport us to Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital. Ryan tested positive for RSV and was having apnea (s/p?). His oxygen levels were too low so they put him on oxygen. They tried at least 4 times to get an i.v. and then stopped trying. They had the CG nurses come to get us. We didn't need sirens or anything but we did get a ride. They didn't want me driving with him behind me with the possibility of him stopping breathing. Also on the side note ---Addie (all better right?) had a double ear infection:(. So...I was told it would probably be a couple days and we'd be able to go home Fri./ Sat. Each time the menu has come for me to fill out for the next day I keep thinking "I hope I am not really here to eat this" but I have and today they said he should have been improving so they did another X-ray and now they have found pneumonia on the right side of his lung. So we'll be here a couple more days. Even though this has not been the way I'd want to start Ryan's life or the new year I can honestly say things could be so much worse and I know we have had many blessings throughout this experience and that Heavenly Father is watching over Ryan and our family. I have been so humbled the last few days as we have seen many many "tender mercies" of the Lord from neighbors/friends giving rides, friends bringing meals and babysitting, visits, etc. Friends taking over responsibilities and work being so understanding. I have been touched so greatly by those willing to go out of their way to serve and help and sacrifice so much in our behalf. I can't write them all here but they are in my personal journal and even there I can't describe with words how I have felt but it will never be forgotten. So I don't have any cute pictures with me to post but stay tuned because there are some really neat experiences and pictures I will be sharing---like the arrival of our little baby Ryan David Spriggs (I do have to say he is quite the cutie:), his blessing, Haley's baptism, Christmas & family but for now we're just hangin' in there and praying him better. Thank you for your support and prayers---they are making all the difference!

7 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh Angela! I am so sad to hear that news. Your family will be in be in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Ang! I hope he gets feeling better soon & you are home quickly!

Cass Bradshaw said...

Oh no! That's terrible :( I hope the poor little guy gets better soon & Addie too. Hang in there.

Jessica said...

Prayers your way! You are amazing!!

Phillip and Lisa Hill said...

I've been thinking about you so often wondering how you are handling things. I'm so sorry you have had a rough start. I know if anyone can handle it, you can. You're in our prayers too.

Babbel Family said...

Oh my word Angela, that is awful. Bless your heart, wish I was there to make you something yummy! Hang in there, prayers for your family!!!

Heather said...

How hard! I'm so sorry to hear this! I'll be praying for your cute little baby and that you can bring him home soon!