Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Yellow Jacket Wasp Attack

So after school yesterday Megan was swinging and then screaming. I thought she had fallen off but this girl is PARANOID of bandaids---like seriously...if she gets hurt the first thing that comes out "I don't need a bandaid". So I'm trying to reassure her I won't put a bandaid on but I need to see why she is screaming (she was holding her leg). Finally I see this little red dot and realize she was stung! She cried for a long time and then sat in a chair holding an ice pack for like 45 min....really.:( Well then we had FHE and I got the two little ones in the tub. One out and drying and I hear Haley screaming hysterically. They were outside for a little bit more play time while Dave started up the mower. Anyway I run to the door and when I opened it I saw Haley with (later we found out they weren't bees -- but yellow jacket WASPS) ALL over her pants. I'm not exaggerating. There were two big clumps on both pant legs. I can't even tell you how many. They were EVERYWHERE. Something inside kicked in (you know those times where it is not really "you" that takes over and does what needs to be done) and I jumped down and pulled her pants off and threw her inside. Jordan was also there with the wasps around him but not like Haley. I flagged down mower dad Dave:) and he came to help. When I opened the door there was Addie with a wasp on her tummy--now I did panic and Dave got it off her and I checked her tummy for a sting. Nothing. So I put her on the table and counted a blessing. Meanwhile as you can imagine, Haley is still screaming (poor thing) and then we see another one on her underwear trying to sting her again and Jordan had one coming out of the sleeve of his arm. AHHH!!! So we're just getting all the clothes out of the house and trying to calm everyone when I looked up and there was Addie:( I don't know when or how but her eye started swelling and really this isn't even as bad as it got but isn't it horrible?:( Man, it was not the best of nights at our house but I'm grateful and recognize the blessing that none of them had an allergic reaction. Haley was stung at least 5 times, Jordan 2 and Megan/Addie once. We had some snuggle time on the couch for sure!

But, for those guilty of the crime-not so much (obviously you wouldn't want to do this in the day time) They actually find empty holes in the ground left by bunnies or unfortunately for us moles:( and nest in them. Obviously the mower got them stirred up. Also, just fyi, this is the most active time for them, they are very aggresive, and like darker colors (explains why Haley was covered and Jordan not as much) So we got a little gas and a match (you know you just don't mess with my babies;) --Burn baby burn!!!!!!

3 comments:

Cari said...

WOW! Poor girl! You guys really are luck. Unlike bees, those things can sting more then once and they are nasty. I can't believe Haley made it out of that one without a trip to the hospital.

Phillip and Lisa Hill said...

Poor kids. I hope they aren't scarred for life. All I have to do is say the word "fire ant" and a huge look of fear comes over my kids faces. Why oh why must nature be so torturous? Glad it wasn't worse. :)

Tamra said...

That is such a horrifying story. Way to fight them off! I am not sure I could have been so quick or smart.